Sunday, January 25, 2009

Swanee

This is Swanee. I moved to Michigan in May 2006. Swanee lived on the lake & ate often near our dock. For lack of creativity at the time, I called the swan Swanee & made little clicking sounds each time I went down to the beach. Gradually, I won her over & she didn't swim away when I got down there. I really enjoyed having "my own swan". They are totally independent - you cannot feed them, but she would come when I called her. Her parents lived at the other end of the lake, & they came during the winter to start practicing flying so they could leave before the lake froze. It was a sad day in January when I saw them leave. But it was a happy day the end of March when they returned. Needless to say, it was an even happier day when JoJo mated with her. 30 days later, they swam out of the reed bed & brought 4 little swans to meet me - JoJo even got out of the water to introduce them to me. I will share that photo later. Swanee made life on the lake even better than it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment